EPIC_Tom, interspecies audio-visual performance (approx. 30 min), and
installation is a single channel video with multi-channel audio, 2014-ongoing.
In collaboration with Simon Lysander Overstall and Tom
—video shows 4 min excerpt of installation at Neutral Ground, May 25 – July 7, 2016—
EPIC_Tom expands on new media art by considering canine vocal and embodied gestural communication and creativity. The interspecies collaborative project is inspired by lived experiences shared together over time. In the process of making the project, Tom contributed movement and vocals via motion capture studio and sound recording sessions. He freely moved and vocalized in these environments. The best results generated a live animation of Tom imaged jumping for a ball, and a sequence of vocal utterances. Biophilic attention, in the form of thinking-feeling-like-a-dog, was an empathic technique we used to sense his experience during these sessions. What it was like for Tom as he jumped for the ball? Could it be proto-euphoric—eager, expectant, desirous? This inquiry informed the processes for generating the audio and visual material for the performance and installation.
The performance explores visualizing and sonifying Tom’s proto-euphoric state in a live setting. The animation of Tom is complimented with live generative effects. Software granular treatments on Tom’s recorded vocals created by Overstall generate a durational call for the participating human musicians’ acoustic responses. (The musicians in the performance are site-specific participants from the hosting city.) Andreyev performs with a theremin as one of the responding instruments—its sonic characteristics like voice, even canine voice.
The project can be exhibited as an installation following a performance. This involves the installation of our custom software that plays a live version of the animation, and a live soundscape that includes recordings of the performing musicians.
Julie Andreyev: concept, theremin performance
Simon Overstall: Max/MSP software, granular soundscape performance
Tom: concept, actor, vocals
Jay White: animation of Tom
Richard Overington + Hyuma Frankowski: motion capture support
performances + exhibitions:
- 2016, Sept 24. “EPIC_Tom”, performance, Pixelache: Interfaces for Empathy, Helsinki, Finland, September 22-25, with musicians—Erkki Joutseno on percussion, and Grisell Macdonal on standing bass.
- 2016, May 25 – July 7. “EPIC_Tom”, exhibition installation curated by Brenda Cleniuk. A new commission by Neutral Ground Contemporary Art Forum, Regina.
- 2016, May 21. Performance with members of the Regina Symphony Orchestra—Simon MacDonald violin, Simon Fryer cello, Marie-Noelle Berthelet flute—curated by Brenda Cleniuk, Neutral Ground Contemporary Art Forum, Regina.
- 2014 performance with members of the Vancouver Experimental Theremin Orchestra—Wynne Palmer, Erin Brown-John, Ricarda McDonald—curated by Wynne Palmer, LocoMotoArt @ Aberthau Mansion, July 17.
- 2014 performance “Interactive Futures 2014: More-Than-Human Worlds“, Emily Carr University. Apr 24.
- 2013 performance “Beyond Human: Artist Animal Collaborations”, curated by Janey Winchell, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.
We acknowledge the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, which last year invested $157 million to bring the arts to Canadians throughout the country.
Intersections Digital Studios, Emily Carr University of Art + Design, Vancouver.
VIVO Media Arts, Vancouver
Installation commissioned by Neutral Ground Contemporary Art Forum, Regina, Canada