EPIC_Tom, interspecies audio-visual performance (approx. 30 min), 2014-ongoing.
In collaboration with Simon Lysander Overstall and Tom
—video shows an excerpt of a performance at Pixelache 2016: Interfaces for Empathy, Helsinki, Finland, September 24, with participating musicians—Erkki Joutseno on percussion, and Grisell Macdonal on standing bass.—
EPIC_Tom expands on new media performance by incorporating canine voice and creativity. For this interspecies project, the artists ask: what is a dog experiencing the moment just before catching a ball? Could it be proto-euphoric—eager, expectant, desirous? The performance explores visualizing and sonifying, in a live setting, canine collaborator Tom’s state of mind.
The performance works with movement and vocal material contributed by Tom in motion capture and sound recording sessions. Electro-acoustic techniques are used on Tom’s recorded voice to output a durational call for participating human musicians’ acoustic responses. Tom’s vocalization, comprised of 5 utterances, is extended by Overstall using computational processes to generate 5 sonic movements, to which Andreyev performs responses with a theremin—its sonic characteristics like voice, even canine voice. The performance includes an animation of Tom generated by motion capture data, complimented by real-time effects. The project is intended to be participatory where musicians from the host city contribute.
The project can be exhibited as a gallery installation following a performance. This involves the installation of custom software that plays a live version of the animation projected as a single channel visual, and a real-time multichannel soundscape that includes recordings of the local participating musicians.
Tom: concept, actor, vocals
Julie Andreyev: theremin performance
Simon Overstall: Max/MSP software, electro-acoustic performance
Jay White: animation of Tom
Richard Overington + Hyuma Frankowski: motion capture support
performances + exhibitions:
- 2017, June 7. “EPIC_Tom”, performance, “Shadbolt Seminar 2017: Arts, Criticism & the City”, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver with musicians—Andrea Terpenkas and Jim Bennett.
- 2016, Sept 24. “EPIC_Tom”, performance, Pixelache: Interfaces for Empathy, Helsinki, Finland, September 22-25, with musicians—Erkki Joutseno on percussion, and Grisell Macdonal on standing bass.
- 2016, May 25 – July 7. “EPIC_Tom”, exhibition installation curated by Brenda Cleniuk. A new commission by Neutral Ground Contemporary Art Forum, Regina.
- 2016, May 21. Performance with members of the Regina Symphony Orchestra—Simon MacDonald violin, Simon Fryer cello, Marie-Noelle Berthelet flute—curated by Brenda Cleniuk, Neutral Ground Contemporary Art Forum, Regina.
- 2014 performance with members of the Vancouver Experimental Theremin Orchestra—Wynne Palmer, Erin Brown-John, Ricarda McDonald—curated by Wynne Palmer, LocoMotoArt @ Aberthau Mansion, July 17.
- 2014 performance “Interactive Futures 2014: More-Than-Human Worlds“, Emily Carr University. Apr 24.
- 2013 performance “Beyond Human: Artist Animal Collaborations”, curated by Janey Winchell, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.
Andreyev, Julie. “Responding to Dogs.” Istvan Csicsery-Ronay (ed.) Humanimalia: a journal of human / animal interface studies, Vol. 8, number 22, Spring 2017, DePauw University (USA). Web. http://www.depauw.edu/site/humanimalia/