Scratch Theremin, Interspecies audio performance, 2011-present
A collaboration with Tom (canine)
For Scratch Theremin, Andreyev works with canine Tom using interactive software and a theremin to produce a collaborative improvisational interspecies performance. In the process of developing this performance, a custom built theremin, that incorporates a rug as an interface, was created to allow Tom to scratch and gesture to create sounds, and to accompany his playing with a diverse range of vocalization. These studio recordings are later used in the live performance where they are remixed into a new experimental improvisational soundscape. Here, Andreyev accompanies Tom’s vocals and rhythms with her own live theremin and remix performance.
performed with the Vancouver Experimental Theremin Orchestra (VETO) for:
- 2014 VIVO Open House, Vancouver
- 2013 2000 Meilen Unter Dem Meer, VIVO, Vancouver
- 2012 Utopia Festival, W2, Vancouver, Mar 10;
- 2011 VEE – sound space architecture, “Random Elements – a Celebration of Iannnis Xenakis”, Vancouver New Music’s , Vancouver, Oct 16;
- 2011 Interactive Futures ’11: Animal Influence, Vancouver, Nov 19.
- 2011 Signal + Noise Festival, VIVO, Vancouver, June 23;
Julie Andreyev: theremin performance
Tom (canine): concept, theremin performance, vocals
Simon Lysander Overstall: Max/MSP performance software
We acknowledge the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, which last year invested $157 million to bring the arts to Canadians throughout the country.