Scratch Theremin, Interspecies audio performance, 2011-present
A collaboration with Tom (canine)
For Scratch Theremin, Andreyev works with canine Tom using interactive software and a theremin to produce collaborative improvisational interspecies performance. For this project, a custom built theremin that incorporates a rug as an interface, was created to provide Tom with a scratching surface where he can gesture to create sounds. He accompanies his strumming with a diverse range of vocalizations. This content is recorded for later use in the live improvisational performance where Tom’s vocalizations and rhythms are remixed into an experimental soundscape that is responded to by Andreyev through theremin accompaniment.
performed with the Vancouver Experimental Theremin Orchestra (VETO) for:
- 2014 VIVO Open House, Vancouver
- 2013 2000 Meilen Unter Dem Meer, VIVO, Vancouver
- 2012 Utopia Festival, W2, Vancouver, Mar 10;
- 2011 VEE – sound space architecture, “Random Elements – a Celebration of Iannnis Xenakis”, Vancouver New Music’s , Vancouver, Oct 16;
- 2011 Interactive Futures ’11: Animal Influence, Vancouver, Nov 19.
- 2011 Signal + Noise Festival, VIVO, Vancouver, June 23;
Julie Andreyev: theremin performance
Tom (canine): concept, theremin performance, vocals
Simon Lysander Overstall: Max/MSP performance software
We acknowledge the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, which last year invested $157 million to bring the arts to Canadians throughout the country.