Vegan Congress, relational art group, 2013-ongoing
A collaboration with Maria Lantin, Trudy Chalmers, Lucy Chen, Ellen Yap, Carol Gigliotti, Beth Carruthers, prOphesy sun, Genevieve Raiche-Savoie, Jesse Garbe.
Photo courtesy of Carson Au
Founded in 2013, the Vegan Congress is an activist group creating relational art to develop discourse on veganism and practical ethics with regards to other animals. The objectives of the group are to offer compassionate means to consider animals as subjects of their own lives. The group aims to make more visible vegan practice within the community. The Vegan Congress consists of like-minded faculty, staff and students at Emily Carr University, Simon Fraser University, and University of British Columbia.
“Animal Reading Group”, Simon Fraser University
- “How Vegan Are You? Slide Show”, photography installation. Mar 17-21, Abe Rogatnick Media Gallery, Emily Carr University.
- “Compassion Manifesto”, reading and open forum discussion. Mar 19, Abe Rogatnick Media Gallery, Emily Carr University.
- “Compassion Fashion”, Mar 18, information session. Abe Rogatnick Media Gallery, Emily Carr University.
- “How Vegan Are You? Photo Booth”, participatory photo session. Mar 17, Abe Rogatnick Media Gallery, Emily Carr University.
- “Vegan Tea Party”, party and live coding by Jesse Scott. Mar 16, Abe Rogatnick Media Gallery, Emily Carr University.
- “Wild Co-Existence”, panel with Sara Dubois/BC SPCA, Dave Shishkoff/TheVictoriaVegan, Dan Straker/Stanley Park Ecology Society, Marcy Potter/ The Association for the Protection of Fur-bearing Animals. Oct. 15, Intersections Digital Studios, Emily Carr University.
- “Milk + Kindness”, how-to session with Maria Lantin and Trudy Chalmers. Apr 2, Intersections Digital Studios, Emily Carr University.
- “Love + Chocolate”, presentations by Emma Smith/Zimt and Greg Hook/Chocolate Arts. Feb 26, Intersections Digital Studios, Emily Carr University
- “Vegan Tasting with Preet Marwaha”, presentation and discussion with chef Preet Marwaha. Jan 22, Intersections Digital Studios, Emily Carr University
Andreyev, Julie. “Compassion Manifesto: An Ethics for Art + Design and Animals.” Castricano, Jodey and Rasmus R. Simonsen (Eds.) New Critical Perspectives on Veganism. Palgrave MacMillan.
Supported by: Intersections Digital Studios, Emily Carr University of Art + Design