EPIC_Tom, interspecies score and performance (approx. 30 min), 2014-ongoing.
In collaboration with Simon Lysander Overstall and Tom
—video shows an excerpt of a performance at Pixelache 2016: Interfaces for Empathy, Helsinki, Finland, September 24, with participating musicians—Erkki Joutseno on percussion, and Grisell Macdonal on standing bass.—
EPIC_Tom uses a live audio-video score based on a phrase of 5 utterances vocalized by Tom,* extended to a 30 minute live soundscape of 5 movements. There are live visuals to accompany the movements, consisting of an animation of Tom with visual effects representing his canine state of mind. Electro-acoustic techniques are used on the recordings of Tom’s voice to output a sonic score for participating human musicians’ to accompany. The project is intended to be participatory where musicians from the host city improvise with the sonic and visual score. The musicians are asked to consider what a dog is experiencing the moment just before catching a ball. Could it be proto-euphoric—eager, expectant, desirous?
* Recording of Tom’s vocals that is the basis of the score:
Tom: concept, actor, vocals
Julie Andreyev: theremin + visual performance
Simon Overstall: electro-acoustic performance
Jay White: animation of Tom
Richard Overington + Hyuma Frankowski: motion capture support
performances + exhibitions:
- 2019, Jan 9, Living Things Festival in collaboration with Interactive Art, Science and Technology, Kelowna, BC
- 2018, Jan 25. “EPIC_Tom”, performance, “Time, Light + Sound Series”, Emily Carr University, Vancouver with musicians—DB Boyko and the VOICE OVER mind Choir.
- 2017, June 7. “EPIC_Tom”, performance, “Shadbolt Seminar 2017: Arts, Criticism & the City”, Simon Fraser University, Vancouver with musicians—Andrea Terpenkas and Jim Bennett.
- 2016, Sept 24. “EPIC_Tom”, performance, Pixelache: Interfaces for Empathy, Helsinki, Finland, September 22-25, with musicians—Erkki Joutseno on percussion, and Grisell Macdonal on standing bass.
- 2016, May 25 – July 7. “EPIC_Tom”, exhibition installation curated by Brenda Cleniuk. A new commission by Neutral Ground Contemporary Art Forum, Regina.
- 2016, May 21. Performance with members of the Regina Symphony Orchestra—Simon MacDonald violin, Simon Fryer cello, Marie-Noelle Berthelet flute—curated by Brenda Cleniuk, Neutral Ground Contemporary Art Forum, Regina.
- 2014 performance with members of the Vancouver Experimental Theremin Orchestra—Wynne Palmer, Erin Brown-John, Ricarda McDonald—curated by Wynne Palmer, LocoMotoArt @ Aberthau Mansion, July 17.
- 2014 performance “Interactive Futures 2014: More-Than-Human Worlds“, Emily Carr University. Apr 24.
- 2013 performance “Beyond Human: Artist Animal Collaborations”, curated by Janey Winchell, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.
Andreyev, Julie. “Responding to Dogs.” Humanimalia: a journal of human / animal interface studies, Vol. 8, number 22, Spring 2017, DePauw University (USA). Web. http://www.depauw.edu/site/humanimalia/
Leong, Penny. “Other Beings, Julie Andreyev.” Espace 121 Animal Point of View, hiver/winter 2019, Montreal.