*glisten) HIVE, generative animation and sound installation, 2010-18
A collaboration with Simon Lysander Overstall
—video a 05:00 excerpt from exhibition “Urban Beeing”, Slolska 28, Prague, 2014—
*glisten) HIVE is a project that aggregates, visualizes and sonifies Twitter communications about animals. The project offers textual representations of empathy as a form of ecological relating. The Tweets selected for the project are mapped into the installation as animated text mimicking social-insect swarming patterns. The animations are created using Max/MSP software that allow for regular Tweet updates to the swarms’ non-repeating organically moving patterns. Visitors can contribute Tweets to the swarm via mobile devices. The soundscape is produced using granular synthesis and generative techniques to create a soundscape of many voices. The sound changes in relation to the shifting spatial dimensions of the swarms.
The project can be customized for specific content and may consist of one or numerous unique swarms. The last exhibition of the project, installed in “Urban Beeing”, Slolska 28, Prague focused on Tweets about bees, and experimented with recordings of bees for the soundscape.
- 2018 Digital Animalities, curated by Matthew Brower and Giovanni Aloi. CONTACT Gallery and the John B. Aird Gallery, Toronto. November 1-30, 2018.
- 2014, Nov 20-Dec 12, “Urban Beeing”, Školská 28, Prague, Czech Republic.
- 2012 the 3rd Art and Science International Exhibition, Beijing, China.
- 2011 CHI2011 User in Flux workshop, Vancouver, May 7-12.
- 2010 CODE Live 2 (Cultural Olympiad’s Digital Edition), Vancouver Cultural Olympiad, Feb 4-21.
Commissioned by: Vancouver 2010 Cultural Olympiad
Julie Andreyev: tweet collection, visual design
Simon Lysander Overstall: Max/MSP software, sound design
Hyuma Frankowski: installation screen design
Dennis Rosenfeld: networked software support
Derek Ing, Lindsay Braynen, Sha Li, Sheryl Yang: Research Assistants
CODE Live 2 (Cultural Olympiad’s Digital Edition), Vancouver Cultural Olympiad;
Intersections Digital Studios, and Social + Interactive Media Centre, Emily Carr University of Art + Design.