Scratch Theremin, Interspecies audio performance, 2011-14
In collaboration with Tom
For Scratch Theremin, I worked with Tom using interactive software and a theremin to produce collaborative improvisational interspecies performance. I built a custom theremin that incorporates a rug as an interface, to provide Tom with a scratching surface to gesture and create sounds. Tom accompanies his strumming with a diverse range of vocalizations. Recordings have been used in performances.
performed with the Vancouver Experimental Theremin Orchestra (VETO) for:
- 2014 VIVO Open House, Vancouver
- 2013 2000 Meilen Unter Dem Meer, VIVO, Vancouver
- 2012 Utopia Festival, W2, Vancouver, Mar 10;
- 2011 VEE – sound space architecture, “Random Elements – a Celebration of Iannnis Xenakis”, Vancouver New Music’s , Vancouver, Oct 16;
- 2011 Interactive Futures ’11: Animal Influence, Vancouver, Nov 19.
- 2011 Signal + Noise Festival, VIVO, Vancouver, June 23;
Julie Andreyev: theremin performance
Tom: concept, theremin performance, vocals
Simon Lysander Overstall: Max/MSP performance software
We acknowledge the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, which last year invested $157 million to bring the arts to Canadians throughout the country.